Atlanta, Georgia Pedestrian Car Accident Lawyer
According to the Georgia Governor s Office of Highway Safety, there were 1,390 pedestrians killed and 18,383 injured in motor vehicle accidents between 2000 and 2008. Pedestrians accounted for 9.4 percent of people killed in car wrecks during this time period.
Pedestrian accidents can occur for many different reasons, but often the driver of the motor vehicle is at least partially at fault for the crash. A pedestrian who is injured can take legal action against the responsible driver, while the loved ones of a pedestrian who is killed can also file a claim for wrongful death damages. Pedestrian accident claims are often high-stakes claims due to the serious nature of injuries involved in these crashes and it is important to have an experienced Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyer representing you. The Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys at Sammons Carpenter, P.C. can help.
The Dangers of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can occur anytime and anywhere, and can involve both adults and children. However, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) indicates that there are certain people more likely to be victims and that certain locations are more likely than others to be the site of accidents. According to NHTSA data :
- 73 percent of fatal pedestrian accidents occur in urban settings as opposed to rural locations. Atlanta is, of course, an urban setting where there are many pedestrians;
- 79 percent of fatal pedestrian accidents occur at areas other than intersections;
- 89 percent of deadly pedestrian crashes happen during normal weather;
- 69 percent of deadly pedestrian crashes happen at night;
- 10 percent of all fatal pedestrian accidents result in the death of seniors 65 and older;
- Seniors 65 and up accounted for 11 percent of pedestrian injuries resulting from accidents in 2010;
- 19 percent of children between the ages of 5 and 9 who were killed in auto accidents in 2010 died when they were pedestrians as opposed to passengers in a vehicle;
- 7 percent of pedestrians killed were children under 15;
- 23 percent of pedestrians injured were children under 15; and,
- 69 percent of pedestrians killed in 2010 were men.
As this data shows, children and the elderly are especially vulnerable to being killed in pedestrian accidents.
Pedestrian Accidents Put Everyone at Risk
Pedestrian accidents have many different causes including:
- Pedestrians who cross at non-intersections or outside of designated crosswalks;
- Drivers who do not yield the right-of-way to pedestrians as required;
- Drivers who disobey traffic signals (running red lights, going through stop signs);
- Drivers who are speeding and who lose control of their vehicle;
- Drivers who lose control and go off the road;
- Drivers who are distracted or falling asleep at the wheel and who don t see a pedestrian;
- Pedestrians who don t look both ways before they go onto the street;
- Pedestrians or drivers who are under the influence of alcohol. NHTSA reports that alcohol played a role in 47 percent of fatal pedestrian wrecks. It was the pedestrian who was more likely to be drunk, with 33 percent of crashes involving an intoxicated pedestrian and only 14 percent involving a drunk driver.
Both drivers and pedestrians, therefore, can play a role in causing pedestrian wrecks. In many cases, however, the accident results from a driver doing something unreasonably careless or negligent. When a driver is entirely or partially at fault for an accident, he can be sued and made to compensate the injured plaintiff for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering and emotional distress. An Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer can help the injured victim of a pedestrian crash to seek compensation.
Getting Legal Help from an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer if You Were Hit as a Pedestrian
A pedestrian who is involved in a car accident has nothing to cushion the impact or dispel the force of the blow. As such, he or she is likely to suffer serious and permanent injuries or even to die as a result of the pedestrian crash. The more serious the injuries and the greater the economic and non-economic losses, the larger the compensation obtained in a pedestrian accident case.
At Sammons Carpenter, P.C.. our Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys understand how much is at stake after a pedestrian accident. We can put our legal knowledge, skills and experience to work to represent you and get you the justice you deserve.
To learn more about how we can help you after your pedestrian accident, contact us online or give us a call at 404-814-8949.
Copyright 2012 by Sammons Carpenter, P.C.