Anchorage Finance

Sep 30 2017

Transfer Without a Title #surety #title #utah


Utah DMV

Transfer Without a Title

Registration Only

If you ve recently moved to Utah, and your certificate of title is being held by an out-of-state leasing company or lien holder, you will not be required to acquire the certificate of title in order to transfer your vehicle registration to Utah. Instead, you will need to provide the following in order to receive a Registration Only:

  • Most recent registration You will need to provide a copy of your most recent vehicle registration.
  • Leasing company or lien holder information Be prepared to provide the name and address of the leasing company or lien holder that is holding your certificate of title.
  • Safety and/or Emissions Inspection Certificates Depending on the vehicle type and model year, a safety and/or emissions inspection may be required. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.
  • VIN/HIN Inspection Inspections of identification numbers are required for all vehicles or vessels to be titled in Utah for the first time. Safety inspection certificates are acceptable means of verification for your cars, trucks and motorcycles providing that the VIN is accurate on the safety inspection certificate. See Vehicle Inspections for more information.

Insufficient Evidence of Ownership

At times, a certificate of title may not be available when a vehicle is sold. This is especially true for homemade vehicles and old vehicles for which the original certificate of title cannot be located. In such circumstances, a process known as Insufficient Evidence of Ownership must be completed. Please click the appropriate link below to find a checklist and important information for completing this process:

  • Public Insufficient Evidence Checklist Use this checklist for motor vehicles, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, watercraft, and trailers.
  • Tower Insufficient Evidence Checklist Use this checklist if you are a towing company.
  • Mobile Home Insufficient Evidence Checklist Use this checklist for unaffixed manufactured/mobile homes.

Related Forms

As you will see on any of the above checklists, several forms are required as part of the Insufficient Evidence of Ownership process:

  • TC-656, Application for Utah Title This form details the new owners to whom the title should be transferred upon approval.
  • TC-569A, Ownership Statement This form allows you to explain how you acquired the vehicle/mobile home and why no title is available. Be as descriptive as possible.
  • TC-661, Certificate of Inspection This form must be completed by a DMV employee, peace officer, licensed dealer, or a certified safety inspector if no Utah record exists for the vehicle/mobile home.
  • TC-824, Motor Vehicle Defective Title or Insufficient Evidence of Ownership Bond (Surety Bond) This form may be required if the value of the vehicle exceeds $1,000.00, and requires you to purchase a surety bond for twice the fair market value of the vehicle.

This website is provided for general guidance only. It does not contain all motor vehicle laws or rules.

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *