#car #accident #lawyers #in #los #angeles
Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers
Dedicated to Obtaining Maximum Compensation for Our Clients
Thousands of people are injured in motor vehicle accidents on a daily basis. Car crashes are some of the most common causes of serious personal injuries. If you or a family member have been injured in an auto accident in California, BD J is here to help. Our Los Angeles car accident attorneys understand how challenging it can be to pursue justice when you are dealing with medical bills, health complications, missed time at work, and the emotional and physical exhaustion of being involved in an accident. That is why we are here to help.
Ready to discuss your case? Reach out to our firm today to schedule a free, initial consultation with us: (855) 906-3699 .
Negligence Car Accident Claims
The outcome of many car accident lawsuits hinges on the legal theory of negligence. Negligence occurs when a person or entity behaves in a careless manner that results in the injury or harm to another person. Under the law, a person is required to exercise reasonable care whenever they are driving a motor vehicle, essentially staying aware of any pedestrians, road obstacles, or other drivers. In addition, they are responsible for controlling the speed their vehicle is going. If they fail to exercise this care, it can be considered negligence.
If you are dealing with catastrophic injuries that have caused you pain and suffering, as well as other damages following a car accident, BD J can help you determine if any negligence was involved. The responsible party may be held liable for any of these damages.
Proving this negligence can be complex, requiring that you show:
- The defendant owed duty to the injured party (plaintiff)
- The defendant breached this duty in some way
- That breach specifically caused the victim’s injuries
- The harm could have been reasonably predicted based on the negligence
- The victim suffered actual damages (medical bills, lost wages, etc.)
Depending on the case, the defendant may be automatically presumed negligent and will be required to prove otherwise if they wish to avoid paying damages, such as in a clear violation of driving laws, whether due to drunk driving, right-of-way violations, or something similar.
Our Los Angeles car accident lawyers can not only hold the negligent party responsible, but also thoroughly assess your case to determine if there were any third parties that may have led to the accident, such as construction companies, bartenders, employers, and more.
What Our Firm Can do for You
Here are a few things we can do for you immediately:
- Get you medical treatment with world-renowned doctors, therapists, and specialists.
- Collect key evidence.
- Collect medical records.
- Use our reputation and success record to get your case taken seriously with the insurance company.
- Get the ball rolling on developing and strategizing your case so you can receive maximum compensation for your medial treatment, pain and suffering and recover lost income.
What Caused Your Accident?
Reasons for car accidents typically fall into one of two categories: those caused by driver error and those not caused by driver error. Driver error accidents typically occur due to negligence on the part of the vehicle operator or failure to adhere to traffic laws.
Some common factors that can often lead to accidents include:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving (talking / texting on the phone)
- Failure to yield
- Dangerous road conditions
- Adverse weather conditions
- Vehicle failure
What to Expect at Each Phase in a Car Accident Lawsuit
There are several phases someone who has been in an car accident and subsequently files a lawsuit can expect to experience. While not all cases will go to trial, here is what to expect after you file a lawsuit:
- Interrogatories are the first phase of discovery following the filing of an accident-related lawsuit. Interrogatories are a list of questions, typically 30 or so, which are sent to the opposing party to gather information. This list is most often limited to no more than 45 questions to protect the recipient from harassment. The types of questions included in interrogatories are usually broad-stroke inquiries, regarding how the car accident occurred, what injuries the party is claiming, and what type of medical treatments have been received since the car accident.
- Depositions are the second stage of gathering information during a lawsuit. These typically involve the oral interview of a party involved with the accident by a skilled attorney. Various individuals may be interviewed during a deposition, including involved drivers, passengers, witnesses, police officers, and doctors who treated resulting injuries. Each deposition usually takes a few hours and is scheduled ahead of time to give all interviewees due notice.
- Collecting a settlement. The winning party will be awarded a settlement as compensation for damages or injuries sustained in the car crash. Settlements take place before a trial concludes and often are a way to avoid the trial process altogether while still granting recompense to affected parties. If a settlement is reached, it is the legal obligation of the indebted party to pay the amount due in a timely manner. Failure to do so could result in garnished wages or other punitive actions. While it may take a long time to start receiving payments, you should be able to eventually collect your full reward.
- The trial phase. Most car accident claims are resolved via settlement. However, if no agreement can be reached, a trial is necessary to determine fault and liability in the matter of the car accident. The trial process is comprised of six parts: jury selection, opening statements, presentation of evidence, closing arguments, jury deliberation, and verdict. Once the jury has decided who is at fault, the case is closed and payments will be ordered for the winning party.
Injured in a Car Wreck? Call Our Firm at (855) 906-3699 Today!
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident that resulted in damage or injury, our seasoned car accident lawyers in Los Angeles are available to help. BD J can review your case today and help you determine your next best steps. We have recovered impressive case results for clients, including a $34.5 million verdict for a semi-truck and bicycle accident. Our attorneys know how to handle complex injury cases.
We can fight for the compensation you deserve. Call (855) 906-3699 today to speak with our team.